Module 1 Psychological Trauma - Awareness and Understanding
Be prepared and proactive at all stages of stress/trauma.
Fire staff will learn the definition of trauma, the various responses a healthy human may experience after a traumatic event, followed by assessment and intervention practices to mitigate the negative impacts of trauma and mental illness.
- Recognize stress as a component of resilience.
- Develop awareness of the immediate and long-term effects of stress/trauma.
- Plan proactive strategies to mitigate stress/trauma.
Module 2 Psychological Trauma - Potential Risks & Strategies
Support peers using the 4Rs Action Toolkit.
Psychological trauma is explored further – through the application of the 4R Action Toolkit, fire staff will learn the importance of early recognition and early intervention to prevent a moderate to severe mental health problem from developing.
- Structure conversations with peers using the 4R Action Toolkit.
- Identify signs that may indicate a peer is struggling.
- Develop communication techniques
- Modify the 4R Action Toolkit in crisis situations.
- Outline supporting a peer’s recovery.
Module 3 The Trauma Informed First Responder
Improve effectiveness and satisfaction by using a trauma-informed 4R approach with citizens
Fire staff will develop a basic understanding of mental illness and mental health, and will learn to apply the 4R Action Toolkit to effectively communicate and appropriately respond to a citizen, colleague, family member experiencing a mental health problem/crisis.
- Identify components of trauma informed responding.
- Apply the 4R Action Toolkit to citizens.
- Employ techniques to support de-escalation in citizens.
- Develop techniques for increasing your compassion satisfaction & resilience.
Module 4 Managing Workplace Stress and Building Resiliency
Mitigate occupational stress and practice personal wellness tools.
Fire staff will explore the risk factors and impact of workplace/life stress and will learn to strengthen their resiliency by building and applying valuable and helpful coping strategies.
- Define challenges and potential negative impacts of the work.
- Develop personal tools for building resilience.
- Identify ways to promote growth after stressors.
- Apply the 4R Action tool-kit to self.